Friday, December 11, 2009

The Running Buddy That Wasn’t

….and then was. Okay so Laminator’s comment about having a dog to run with prompted this blog. Calleigh was supposed to be my running buddy. She was supposed to be the dog that would accompany me on my runs. I would get my miles in and she would get her well needed exercise. I would also have a less hyper and destructive pup. This all never happened until today.

I tried training Calleigh to run with me at a young age but being the Bully that she is, she was too stubborn to run in any direction that wasn’t in the direction of the dog park. She has a better memory than myself sometimes. Rather than spending my precious running time talking to my dog and trying to persuade her to run the course I had planned for us, I opted to leave her home on runs. I accepted that she was just not meant to be a running dog.

That all changed today (well maybe a couple of days ago when Lam posted his comment). The comment got me thinking about how I could make Calleigh my running dog. On our last walk through our new off-leash park, we were walking through some trails and I thought how it would be nice to run through them. BINGO! What if I ran through the park with Calleigh off leash? I know she would follow me so that was not a problem and the park was fairly large enough that after a couple of loops I could probably get in some miles. And so it began.

This morning I ran my first run with my new running buddy. We only had about 20 minutes (since I had to get home and get ready for work) but at least it was something. We headed out at sunrise in the 20 degree weather (although the wind chill made it feel 10 degrees cooler). I was all bundled up and wearing my new Mizunos (love love love them so far). I froze my a** off but was happy to hit the pavement. It was my first time in weeks. Of course, I started off too fast and had to slow myself down. And of course, my garmin could not find it’s satellite (wahhh) so I could not calculate my distance or pace. I ran for 20 minutes and felt good. However, I had to stop because Calleigh found a friend and then when I started up again the knee felt tight. Well, with that, I stretched myself out a little bit and then we headed home. I’m heading to hot yoga tonight to get more stretching and sweating in. Tomorrow morning I will be back in the PT’s office and will let her know about my run. I have been doing my prescribed stretches, electric stimulation, icing the knee and massages. Does tendonitis really take this long to heal or get rid of? It’s starting to get to me. Ughh. The good news: I figured how to run with my dog.

Calleigh after our run

No comments:

Post a Comment