Wednesday, January 20, 2010

You know you have a great husband when....

he sweats it out in hot yoga class with you!!! That was how we spent our Monday night..at class together :-) I took Brendan for the first time and I'm glad he enjoyed it. There had been a class before ours so the studio was super hot by the time we started. This was honestly the hottest class I had been to thus far. The heat proved to be too much for me, as well as many other experienced yogis. At times, I had to rest and regather myself. Brendan was next to me and I could see him trying very hard to tough it out. I could only imagine what must have been going through his mind as this was his very first hot yoga class. I'm glad we pushed it and finished the class as strong as we could. It was a good "date" night and we were very relaxed afterwards.

Having a partner in life who is athletic is very important to me. I love that my husband is athletic. We help encourage each other to lead healthy lifestyles. Last year, I helped to train and push him to run his first half marathon. He completed two last year. In 2008, he completed his first sprint triathlon. As I cheered him on and took pictures, I was jealous I was not racing with him. I told him that maybe this year I would give the tri a shot. I cherish the runs we share. We have gone for runs on our travels in many different countries. How many couples can say that? It makes me smile :-) We have run numerous races together, of which some have become traditions. In the summertime, we ride our bikes to the market or we grab our surfboards and head for the beach. In the wintertime, we plan ski/snowboard trips up to Vermont (and now, attend hot yoga class together). All of these activities give us a way to spend time doing what with both love with the one we love most. I'm so grateful for this.


As for my weekend run, the hubs and I didn't get to do that together. We had workers at the house all weekend, so the hubs ran on the treadmill early in the morning so I could hit the pavement while he stayed with the workers. I started my run telling myself to take it slow. About two minutes into the run, I checked out the Garmin and 7:50 pace was flashing. I slowed down but not enough because a minute later I was running at an 8:30 pace. I began to tell myself out loud to "slow it down Michelle". I needed to be at an 9:30 pace or slower if I wanted my knee to hold up for the 3 miles I had planned. I eventually got a grip on my pace and felt good on the run. At the 20 minute mark, I felt a funny feeling in the knee so I stopped and stretched it out. I had one more mile to go at this point and pushed myself even though I felt the knee tightening up a little bit. I reached my goal of running 3 miles in 29:14 (9:44 pace) without any crippling knee pain. I rolled out my ITB afterwards and did my stretches, as well as iced it. It was sore later on that day but fine the next. This was the most I have run since the marathon. It felt great! I ran again today, one mile at a 9:30 pace, then walked, then stretched and then repeated. Two miles under my belt today and no funny feeling in the knee whatsoever. I'm slowly getting back yippie!!! Slow and steady...slow and steady...will heal the knee.

No comments:

Post a Comment