Wednesday, February 3, 2010

"Life is a zero-sum equation"

"Every minute I save will get used on something else..." written by Barbara Kingsolver in her book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. (if you have not read it, read it. It's one of my favorite books)

This statement could not be more true. I remind myself of this when my head starts going over the "things-to-do" checklist for the day. As a result, I rush less through life. I live more. If I save a couple of minutes rushing through one thing, I will spend those minutes I worked so hard to save on something else. Unfortunately, we live in a country where everything is extremely rushed. We barely take the time to smell the roses or take care of ourselves. When I find myself putting off a run because I'm rushing to clean the bathroom or fold a load of laundry before I hit the road, I tell myself that it's a zero-sum equation. When I get back from my run, I can do all of those things and if I do not get to them all, tomorrow is another day.

On a side note, my dinner with the gals tonight was cancelled. One of my friends fell ill and we have rescheduled for next Wednesday. I will have to wait another week to see my ladies but I know it will be worth it.

Went to the orthopedic surgeon who said my knee looks great. Everything is intact and there are no tears in the ligaments. He advised me to continue with physical therapy. The cyst is small and should disappear on its own. I ran for two miles today and started to feel something funny in the knee. I stopped immediately and stretched out the ITB. One day it feels great and the next day it seems like its back again (maybe I'm just paranoid). At least I know it is getting better as I can run farther and longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment