Monday, February 22, 2010

MIA

Yeah yeah yeah I know, I have been MIA from blogworld. Ugh my life has been crazy busy these past couple of weeks and unfortunately, it's not due to running :-( I decided to take two weeks off from running because my knee tightness just does not want to go away. I'm frustrated, angry and upset. The orthopedic surgeon said my cyst will go away on its own. I decided that maybe two weeks worth of rest will help it heal properly. I'm still not sure what is causing the pain.

Here is exactly what happens: I start running at a slow comfortable pace. Whether I stay at this pace or increase it, I begin to get a funny feeling in my knee at around the 20 minute mark. I try to adjust my stride and posture which seems to help for five minutes or so but the feeling still remains. Then the funny feeling turns into a tightening feeling. The feeling is on the outside of my knee just below my knee cap. It occurs where my collateral ligaments meet my fibula. If I try to run through the tightness, it just gets worse. Then the knee sometimes locks and eventually it becomes too painful to run. When I stop and walk, the pain disappears but not entirely. My knee feels bruised afterwards, especially when walking down stairs. It also becomes a bit stiff after sitting for a while.


I have iced it and stretched it. I endured a good two months worth of PT. My IT band feels pretty loose now. I have custom orthodics due to my flat feet. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to make this go away, PLEASE HELP!!! In the meantime, I will stay off it and try to get my running mojo back soon. Oh how I long for the day when I can run six miles pain free.

No comments:

Post a Comment