Saturday, November 21, 2009

I'm back...


…and I’m grateful.

After I started to have pain in my knee, I took about two weeks off from running. During those two weeks, I went to Aruba, which was gorgeous and so very hot. I decided to run a mile on the treadmill at my hotel gym because my knee was feeling good. I took it easy and the mile went well with no pain. I arrived home this past Monday and decided to take advantage of the nice weather on Tuesday with an easy 3 mile run outside. About a mile and a half into the run, the pain was back and I literally could not run anymore. I made my appointment and saw the doctor the following day. She twisted and turned and poked and pronged my knee and came to the conclusion that I probably have tendonitis. I still have to go for an x-ray and make sure that it is not fractured. Her treatment for me is RICE and some physical therapy. I have never gone for physical therapy so this should be interesting. I am somewhat excited to see what exercises they will teach me.

Why am I grateful? I’m grateful for all the races and runs my knees/legs/body have given me this year. This year was a giant year for me in my long distance running quest. I ran three half marathons and one marathon during 2009. All of my training helped me get stronger and faster. In June, I ran the Jim Hedgus 5k in 24:13. Not only did I accomplish my goal of sub-8 min miles and PR, but I also placed 3rd in my age group. It was my first ever age group placement and I received a nice medal for it! Then in October, right before MCM, I ran the Tara Costa Bethpage 5k in 23:19. I shaved almost an entire minute off my previous 5k PR and again, I placed 3rd in my age group, except this time I received a trophy. I also ran two 10ks this year and would have loved to break the 8 min mile barrier in those however; my plan to do that was after MCM. I know I can break 8 in a 10k. I’ve done it in training numerous times and I’m ready to do it in a race. I just need to get my knee back in running shape.

It’s funny how right now I’m mentally ready to run but physically I can’t. Most of the time, it’s the complete opposite. I’m not letting this frustration get to me. Instead, I’m working on strengthening my body in other ways, healing my knee and being grateful for an amazing first year in long distance running. For all you other runners who are currently dealing with an injury, be grateful…I think it will help us all heal and run faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment