Monday, November 9, 2009

Post-Marathon Depression (“PMD”)…if there is such a thing

Okay so I think I have a little bit of PMD. Is this normal??? It’s been over two weeks since my debut at MCM 2009 and I feel like I have been on a little bit of an emotional roller coaster. The first couple of days following MCM, I was on a happy high. I felt really strong and proud. I got teary eyed whenever I would think of my run through the streets of DC and how amazing every part of the race was. I amazed myself and would smile when I thought about how I could now say that I have run a marathon.

One of the best things about MCM 2009 was that the NYC Marathon was the following Sunday and being that I live and work in NYC, I was surrounded by NYC’s marathon FEVER the entire week leading up to the race. I loved every minute of it. I found myself taking notice of all the runners that week who had come from near and far to participate in the city’s marathon. I observed many running or athletic stores advertising “NYC Marathon Sales” or “Specials” and I had to resist the temptation to buy some new gear. On the subway, right away I spotted all the race packet bags and goodies runners had accumulated at the expo (which I had contemplated checking out but never did). I became aware of runners taking in the sights of the city in their sneakers and race gear. Inside I smiled knowing that I just had the 26.2 mile experience all of these runners were about to take part in on that Sunday. They were going to feel the MAGIC. I prayed for good weather on Sunday and that the running gods would look over the 40,000 runners who would be running through a city that I proudly call my home. On the day of the marathon, I was headed to the JETS game over at Giants Stadium in New Jersey and our bus had driven through Manhattan. I was the only person on the bus who got excited and shouted when I noticed the runners making their way towards the Queensborough Bridge to head into Manhattan. I watched with envy. After a terribly embarrassing JETS game against the Miami Dolphins, I quickly asked one of my friends with an Iphone to look up the winner of the NYC Marathon. I was hoping an American would capture the men’s title and said that out loud. My non-running friend responded with “It looks like an African won. What else is new. His name is Meb Keflezighi” (of course he could not pronounce Meb’s name correctly). I went BONKERS when I heard and had to explain to him Meb’s life story and how he was an American (I will blog more on my thoughts about Meb being American later). I don’t know Meb (although my best running friend has driving him to the airport, read her story here MilePosts), but I had read about his story before and felt inspired. I remember being super excited when I received my NYC Marathon official race program compliments of the NYRR and saw that he would be competing. So I was thrilled when I heard that he won and laughed about how my non-running friend assumed from his last name that he was just another African who kicked our American butts again haha.

So what does this have to do with PMD? Although I had the excitement from finishing my first marathon combined with the anticipation of the NYC marathon to keep me on could nine, I still could not stop myself from thinking “What now?”. This question gave me PMD.

I made my decision to start long distance running back in January of this year. I ran my first half marathon in March and my second in May. With each of those half marathons, I had goals in mind and something to look forward, something to be anxious about. I figured in order to take on the marathon I would need to start somewhere and that somewhere would be the half marathon. I ran two half marathons because I felt the need to redeem myself of my failed performance in my first half marathon attempt. After my half marathons, I kept up my running and was probably averaging about 15-20 miles per week until I headed on my three-week vacation to Europe in July. I had a nice break from running, although I did run a little bit in my hotel gym in Budapest. Once I returned from Europe, I began my marathon training. I had 14 weeks dedicated to MCM. Those 14 weeks flew by because I had my marathon to focus on. It gave me something to look very forward to and be anxious about. For the past couple of months, my legs have been running and running and running and my head has been running with all thoughts running. Now I’m still running and thinking running but the race anticipation and anxiety has drifted away.

This past Saturday, I was supposed to run a 10k with my husband. It’s an annual race we do every year in Rockville Centre on Long Island. I wanted to run it so badly but had to bail out at last minute due to some funny feeling in my left knee. After MCM, I stupidly ran way too early and didn’t give my body the proper amount of recovery time. As a result, I think I may have slightly injured my knee. I know it’s my body’s way of telling me to give it a little break. So I am. I am now spending more time in the gym rather than on the pavement and working on my strengthening my core and upper body. After MCM, my upper body and lower back were more sore than my legs, which tells me that I need to work on my core. Although I have been working out with a trainer and taking boot camp classes at the gym, I still feel the PMD. I think I need to sign up for another race as soon as my knee is feeling okay. I think I will start looking for one.

No comments:

Post a Comment